Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Shelf Brackets ?

On Sep 26, 12:27*am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
NT wrote:
On Sep 25, 7:32 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
Putting some shelves up in my computer room and need a little advice
on the brackets.

I am thinking of getting the elcheapo London Shelf Brackets.

Width of largest shelf is 400mm and the length is 600mm, actually
making the shelves from an old table that I couldn't bear to just
throw on the tip.
Now the largest bracket that I can get is 350mm x 300mm.

Question is, are you supposed to put the longest length of the
bracket onto the wall or doesn't it matter.

Longest bit on the wall is standard practice.

Yes, resulting in choosing a bigger bracket generally. But when the
shelf is bigger than the bracket either way round, the strength is the
same either way.

Can't see the logic in that. *The load isn't straight down, its trying to
pull the bracket away from the wall, so the longest bit on the wall makes
sense surely?

If you look at how the bracket is trying to (not) fold under the
weight, its the same whichever way round you put it.

But large londons are weak, so might not be enough. I
tend to prefer something much tougher for the large sizes.

Agreed, but the price difference between London brackets & the next grade up
is huge.

it is. Its also worth it IME, large londons are very poor performers.
A much cheaper option is to use small londons, which cost verylittle,
plus vertical timber support bars at the shelf fronts.

NT