Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

Jordan wrote:
I once had one that wouldn't fire but would if I gave it a good smack
with the side of my fist. I opened it up to find a tiny string of
carbon looped from one electrode to the other. One good smack would
break the loop and it would start. The cause of the problem was the
last guy to service the burner... ME! I had the electrodes adjusted
wrong. Eventually I learned the right way but have forgotten it by now.

The fist smack did the trick. I don't mind doing this for a couple of
days because I have a whole new system coming in on Wednesday. I just
need to make it through a couple of chilly nights until then. If I
get the house up to 70 by bed time, it should stay above 60 unti the
morning when I can smack it another time.

LOL! Good job Fonzie!