Posted to alt.home.repair
Jordan[_3_] Jordan[_3_] is offline

Default Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

I once had one that wouldn't fire but would if I gave it a good smack
with the side of my fist. *I opened it up to find a tiny string of
carbon looped from one electrode to the other. *One good smack would
break the loop and it would start. *The cause of the problem was the
last guy to service the burner... ME! *I had the electrodes adjusted
wrong. *Eventually I learned the right way but have forgotten it by now..

The fist smack did the trick. I don't mind doing this for a couple of
days because I have a whole new system coming in on Wednesday. I just
need to make it through a couple of chilly nights until then. If I
get the house up to 70 by bed time, it should stay above 60 unti the
morning when I can smack it another time.