Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Chris is offline

Default Central heating control unit blowing fuse

geoff wrote:
In message , Chris
writes
Hi,
I have a Drayton Central Heating control unit ( i.e. controlling the
times the heating and water come on ) which keeps blowing the 3 amp
fuse protecting it.

Is it the controller or what the controller is switching ?

i.e the boiler or associated bits, the pump for example

Is it a case of getting a new unit ( and how complicated is that to
fit) or is there any likely chance of repair.

If you were the sort that could repair it, I would have thought you
would have got inside and tried without asking

but you're asking a how long is a piece of string question

As far as I know the unit is about 8-10 years old as it was in the
house before we moved in.

Since you haven't actually said what model it is, its hard to say as
different ones have different backplates which you may or may not have
to change, depending on age

My feeling is that its probably the further down the line where your
problem lies, programmers don't tend to blow fuses

Thanks for the replies ... Have since found out that the unit is a
Drayton Tempus 7 and on replacing the fuse again - the unit displays
the time etc. OK which you can programme but blows the fuse when the hot
water is turned on by "advancing" or by timing. ( No central heating
turned on)