Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected][_2_] l.vanderloo@rogers.com[_2_] is offline

Default How should I finish a red cedar bowl

On Sep 13, 7:01*pm, R2 wrote:
Good Day Folks

* * * * I'm getting ready to finish a red cedar bowl. I usually have a
few rounds of sanding sealer on by this stage but when I applied the
first coat it was blotchy. I resanded to remove the blotchs but how
should I finish it. Varnish?? Danish oil? What would you suggest?

Regards,

RandyD

rdeforge at optonline dot net

Randy I assume we are talking Juniper, AKA eastern red
Cedar,................... and not not Thuja plicata AKA western red
Cedar
The oil in Juniper plays havoc with the oils you put on it, I wouldn't
use any oil on it, and it being a soft kind of wood, a not easily
fixed finish would be a pain if/when the soft wood would be dented and
the finish damaged.
I think either no finish or shellac would be your best bet,, you could
try a beeswax finish, yes soft but easily renewed.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo