Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
The Dougster[_2_] The Dougster[_2_] is offline

Default Gorilla Glue

Hey, howdy, rcm.

I want to work with Gorilla Glue, lots of it. No more spray cans of
air-hardening cyano foam for me; That crap cures in the spary tube,
Yeah, I know all about the acetone trick. Schmoopie hates the smell
and it gets mighty cold outside, so it's a no-win.

Let's say I keep a pint or a quart of Gorilla Glue in the home
refrigerator where it's cold and dry, and I let it stand on the
counter overnight before any day I want to use it, so the temperature
is repeatable. Let's say I can measure volumes to 10 ml or weights to
1 gm, whichever is more appropriate the task. Let's say I scale my
projects to use up as much glue foam as I can make with one precious
drop of water.

So I am wondering how to find out:

To how much Gorilla Glue, by volume or weight, do I add *one drop* of
tap water with stirring for 1 minute by hand, for application within
the next 5 minutes, to get a foam that will end up in 24 hours, "not
completely unlike", that is, a reasonable match (in acoustic impedance
or machinability or density or stiffness per volume, pick one and say
why) for:

Styrene Foam?

Balsa?

Pine?

Oak?

Acetal?

Acrylic?

Magnesium?

Aluminum?

Mild Steel?

It's all about the damn futon. Friend gave it to us. I cut panels to
fit the rack-of-torture frame. I want to foam glue them. I want them
to stay. I don't want spray foam on the rug, or anywhere else. I want
some control. Yeah, caulk would work.

But then I got thinking...I used Gorilla Glue on the patio bricks and
they stayed put. You just have to keep it very dry, and never touch
the nozzle to anything. I know how to do that.

Here's a tougher question:

How would you dispense 1/10 drop of water?

Douglas (Dana) Goncz, CPS
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394