Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob G[_3_] Rob G[_3_] is offline

Default Motor start capacitor - value ?

On 10 Sep, 22:51, "Fredxx" wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in ...

John Rumm wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
robert wrote:
Have acquired an old pedestal drill with a
British Houston Thompson single phase 1/4hp motor
marked KF TD3205 type BS 2408

The motor start capacitor needs replacing but it has no visible
markings on it *due to several paint coatings !

With capacitor removed the motor will run with a hand start and I can
hear what I assume is a centrifugal switch clicking on spin up and spin
down.

Any advice on what size capacitor to buy and try ?

*IIRC about 2.2uF 450V DC or 250v AC is the approved sort of size. For a
sport of one horsepower motor thing.

There seems to be quit a variation. The one on my 1hp dust collector was
100uF:

http://www.internode.co.uk/SIP/DSCN5328.JPG

bloody eck. Thats biog that is. I did have one lying round on me desk, but
it got 'tidied up'.

It isn't that critical., Its just to 'nudge' the motor in the right
direction. Too small and the motor wont start or may start
backwards..that's all.

http://www.remco.co.uk/products/capa...pacitors_stud_...

i'll be buggered everything from 1 to 100uF seems to be available.

I would suggest to the OP, that he probably won't go far wrong in choosing a
replacement cap of the same size or volume, assuming that the voltage rating
is the same of course.

It depends on the capacitor construction, it's age, but generally for motor
start capacitors, the value and voltage rating determine the size/volume.

Same physical size/volume doesn't apply as modern capacitors are very
much smaller for the same capacitance and voltage rating.