Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob G[_3_] Rob G[_3_] is offline

Default Motor start capacitor - value ?

On 10 Sep, 14:44, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
robert wrote:
Have acquired an old pedestal drill with a
British Houston Thompson single phase 1/4hp motor
marked KF TD3205 type BS 2408

The motor start capacitor needs replacing but it has no visible markings
on it *due to several paint coatings !

With capacitor removed the motor will run with a hand start and I can
hear what I assume is a centrifugal switch clicking on spin up and spin
down.

Any advice on what size capacitor to buy and try ?

* IIRC about 2.2uF 450V DC or 250v AC is the approved sort of size. For
a sport of one horsepower motor thing.

Go to a company that does motor rewinding as a supplier (Yellow Pages)
- and of course they will be able to tell you anyway.

Rob