Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Internal door handle, deadlatch does not fully retract

Falco wrote:
Devany wrote:
On an internal door, the deadlatch does not fully retract into the
door when the handle is turned. It protrudes about 5mm and fouls the
strikeplate when trying to open the door.

There are several of these in my house which are starting to get right
on my nerves.

What is the problem?

They are simply worn.

I guess I could chisel out the strikeplate, but I know I'm crap at
doing that. Shouldn't the deadlatch retract fully? I can't see that
wear and tear would affect it that much. Would a new handle fix it?

Don't bother digging the chisel out of the tool box, just find out whether
it's the handles or latch that's worn and change the offending item - or
both handles and latch if you wish.

I investigated a worn latch like this just a few days ago. The wear
was where the 'rotating bit' sits in the 'fixed bit' if you see what I
mean. It doesn't have proper bearings, there's just a round hole in
the metalwork of the innards where the 'rotating bit' through which
the square shaft for the handle runs. The round hole was far from
round after many years of door opening. There's not a lot one can do
to repair it and I guess they're not very expensive anyway.

--
Chris Green