Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Milling a V-groove

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:04:30 -0700, the infamous "Steve Lusardi"
scrawled the following:

This is a piece of cake with a horizontal mill and the appropriate cutter.
Steve

"Frank J Warner" wrote in message news:150820090827340286%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Will these be flattened for use as a thumb rest, Frank?

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

Pre-amateur miller me agrees with Steve that a horz mill will work
best in this case due to the angles involved. I don't recall seeing
too many sharply angled vert mill cutters.

--
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power