Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Milling a V-groove

if you can stand a 90 deg angle, just use an end mill and tilt the head or
the work. For 60 or 45, use a dovetail cutter (and tilt the work or head)

"Frank J Warner" wrote in message
news:150820090827340286%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work: