Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Septic Drain Field Trouble

"Jungle Man" wrote in message
Water from the washing machine splashed back recently, so, I took that
as a sign that the septic tank needed to be emptied. I was right. Been
there for 30 years without ever having been cleaned.

When we pulled the lid off, the level was up over the entry pipe to
the drain field, indicating the drain field is not draining. Probably
clogged with sludge.

So, looks like I have two choices; spend a ton of money on a new drain
field, or try to salvage the drain field in place. The economy has
been rough on me and I haven't had much work this year. Funds are low.

I need ideas and suggestions as to what I can do to get this drain
field draining again, without totally replacing it.

One plan is to expose the ends of the drain pipes, dig a large hole
and dump rock in it to creat more drainage. I'm wondering if I can
also run a snake or waterhose into the existing drain pipe to get it
working a llittle better.

Any advice?

Well...Is doing somthing like that "legal" ??? Here in Maine it is VERY
illegal....Seems disturbing soil around a septic leak requires Maine
Department of Enviromental Protection personal in spacesuits to remove said
soil to be transported to a "special" disposal site...Cost about 200.00
bucks a yard to dispose of it...Cheaper to cap the old system and go new
which is the point , I guess...That's what I did...So FIRST I would inquire
what the law is in YOUR state , county , ect. and make your decision from
threre...Here just pulling the permit for doing it means you LOSE anything
that's grandfathered and EVERTHING has to be up to current codes....If you
do try to "fix" it yourself without permits , ect. be very carefull...Beware
nosy neighbors who mighted be upset that your "hurting the enviroment" or
****ed cause they had to fork out the big bucks for their repairs...Try to
make it look as though you're planting trees or some such thing and do it
when the neighbors aren't down wind of you...LOL...