Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Window Gel Stickers removal

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 19:02:23 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 16:25:30 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I suspect scraping off is going to be the only option, they are

far
to soft and gunky to peel off. Scraping will leave a residue on

the
glass, any ideas of a solvent or cleaning agent? Google is not

very
forth coming.

Try WD40, to prevent it re-sticking as you scrape.

Ah! A use for WD40. B-)

They really are very gunky, think the worst sticky label residue ever
but a couple of mm thick...

I was thinking along the lines of gentle "solvents" first, neat
detergent bit of water to start with though I doubt that will have
any affect. Then move up through vegetable oils, mineral oil (WD40),
lighter fluid, probably ending with Hammerite thinners (Toulene,
IIRC?). I don't have any of the citrus based agents to try before the
oils.

If you can get some, Ecover made a terpene-based cleanser: "Natural
Citrus-based Cleaner and Degreaser". Flammable neat, it will remove many
things at high concentrations or neat.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.