Rob Stokes

Default Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post?

Depends on the load, but I'm assuming you mean under deflection. If so, the
square post is stronger as it has a larger surface area associated to the
top and bottom chords. This assumes all corners have been broken for stress
concentration relief. If you mean a load under tension, it's strictly a
matter of cross sectional area (assuming a consistent modulus of elasticity
across the section) thus the square section again would win...as it would
under compression.

Rob

--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

"McQualude" wrote in message
I found this question in another group (misc.rural)...
Which is stronger, a round post or square post? Assume the posts are
both made from the same wood and are both equivalent in width.
--
McQualude