Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Stabilizing a HF Shop Crane

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:21:31 -0700, "Roger Paskell"
wrote:

Photo of the setup in the dropbox he

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Stab...Shop_Crane.JPG

If you guys have come up with another way to level and stabilize these
shop cranes, I'd like to see some photos to get other ideas.

You could drill a pair of holes near the casters for a long say 1/2" bolt
and weld a nut on the bottom of the legs. That way you can turn the bolt
down into the ground or boards to stop any movement.
Roger

That would work, but I wonder if it would be shortening the legs on
the sides just enough to make it a little unstable.

I picked up some 3/4" threaded rod and some nuts at the scrap yard
recently, thinking / worrying that 4000 lbs might strip the threads on
a half inch bolt. What I'd like to do is find some U channel that is
a sliding fit inside the legs of the crane, and weld the 3/4" nuts to
the U channel. I could just slide in the outriggers and adjust the
"feet" to level the legs.

RWL