Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_20_] Tim[_20_] is offline

Default Stabilizing a HF Shop Crane

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message

Way back last fall I mentioned that I had to unload my Bridgeport onto
soil rather than a paved surface and the Harbor Freight shop crane
kept rolling off the boards I put on the ground when I'd start to
lift.

I tried putting C clamps as brakes on the wheels in order to lift a
500 lb. drill press this weekend, and they kept the wheels from
rolling off the boards.

Photo of the setup in the dropbox he

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Stab...Shop_Crane.JPG

I'd still like to make some removeable outriggers for the ends of the
crane's legs, but I haven't run across the right pieces of steel at
the local junk dealer.

If you guys have come up with another way to level and stabilize these
shop cranes, I'd like to see some photos to get other ideas.

RWL

If you don't have to move the crane under load, I would put some 4x6 blocks
(or similar) under the frame next to the casters. Just let the castors hang.