Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Paint? Poly? - how to UV protect epoxy coating on wood gutters?

blueman wrote:
As per an earlier thread, I ended up epoxy coating one decayed wooden
gutter (with multiple coats and some fiberglass) and one undecayed
wooden gutter that I just surface coated with the intention of
preventing future rot.

Now since epoxy is UV sensitive, I assume I need to coat the epoxy
with something to protect it from UV.

What would be the best coating that would stand up to the water-logged
nature of gutters and to sun UV exposure? I am looking for a solution
that requires the least maintenance and repeat coating.

Would you recommend paint? If so what type and is primer required?
What about a poly spar varnish?
Any other suggestions?

Note: after applying the epoxy coating, I noticed someone cautioning
against epoxy (or any other non-breathable) coating of wooden gutters
since trapped moisture can rot the gutter from within if the coating
is impervious. The site recommends instead breathable coatings like
various oils. But I went with the advice on this group (and also the
advice from West Systems tech support) and it's too late...

You can add some epoxy dye to epoxy snd use thst. The color should stop UV
penetration.

If the gutters do rot where coated, be sure and let us know. We won't hold our
breath waiting, of course.

When I tried tar coatings on my old gutters, they were really rotted a few years
later. When I replaced them was when I was told about the shingle oil. The new
ones really seem to hold up well with the oil - water beads well on them. They
soak a lot in when being re-coated every couple years.

Hopefully, the penetrating epoxy will work better for you than the tar did for
me. Good luck.