Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Weird GFI problem - wired correctly but not tripping

On Jul 24, 4:01*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Much safer, now. Good job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"blueman" wrote in message

I fixed the problem by tracing upstream where I found that
the ground
wire had broken off in the box. Problem solved & thanks for
the help.

Thanks for posting the outcome. A broken ground; glad the OP found it.

BTW: I agree with the person who posted;
Quote: "If you'd read the entire thread, you would have seen that the
OP stated that
the GFCI trips normally when he presses the test button on the GFCI,
but fails
to trip when he presses the test button on his plug-in tester -- and
you would
have also seen an explanation of why this is so: the plug-in tester
shunts
current to *ground*, and *cannot* trip the GFCI unless there is a
functional
ground at the outlet.".

It seemed obvious the question was why didn't the 'test' feature of
the 'tester' work as expected!

Interesting thread and as often makes one think (and learn!). Thanks
for posting the original question.