Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default three timing belts

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:13:26 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...
I'm thinking of running three timing belts side by side on one pair of
pulleys. Do you think I can get away with just bumpers on the outside edge
of the pulley and three belts running beside each other? Or will they end
up climbing on top of each other? In other words do I need belt guide
bumpers for each belt? (hard to do in the space available - only room for
two belts then)

Yes, as soon as one belt got a bit of slack in it, it would flip
sideways and try to ride the others. That would do one of two things:
snap the loose belt or cause the adjuster to slip.

That's why triple-belted compressors have v-belts and triple pulleys,
for some separation. Watch a large compressor belt setup and you'll
see them flap at each other.

.200 pitch by 3/8 wide belt FWIW. I thought I had seen 1" wide belting in
.200 pitch when I started this design. Now, no can find.

I like the way you think, always did! But, even I wouldn't do that.

You just liked the part about the belts jumping each other, didn't
you, Tawm?

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.