Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How big should a lathe chuck guard be?

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:23:41 -0700 (PDT), David41616
wrote:

On Jul 15, 5:14*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Why are they unsafe?

Wait until the first time a bunch of swarf suddenly wraps around the
tool, work and chuck and start whipping snot out of the guard. If you
insist on using one make sure it is solidly mounted and you are always
using chip breaker tooling.

Would love to hear your report in about 6 months time.

Dave

I use the factory Hardinge splash guard on both the HLV-H and the
TFB...flood cooling and use them both all the time. I use high sulpher
oil in both lathes at 1800-3000 rmp..and it sure saves cleaning up a
hell of a mess.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"