Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default 110v spot welder work on 50Hz?

A handheld spot welder's on-cycle is very short, often in mS for thin
materials, and only about 1.5S for 1/8" total thickness. The thickness limit
of most 120V units that I've looked at was about 1/8" total.

The xfmr primary current demand is fairly high (maybe 30A at 120VAC), but
also relatively brief in duration.

If you happen to locate a good deal on 240VAC spot welder in the meantime,
buy it and sell the 110/120V version.
If the Dayton unit is labeled with 110V as the input voltage, it's probably
a fairly old unit or I'm guessing that it was manufactured in Japan/Asia or
the Mediterranean regions to be labeled with 110V.

The issue of destroying the xfmr because of the 50Hz line frequency is
probably of no significance, and a spot welder of decent quality will very
likely have a thermal protection device (self-resetting) inside the xfmr, to
prevent the xfmr from damage due to overheating.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Pondering selling my Dayton hand held spot welder vs taking to Australia.
Assuming I have a transformer to knock 220 down to 110 that will handle
the current, will 50Hz adversely affect performance? Is there anything
about that which would require uprating a transformer a bit?

Thanks,

Jon