Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default 110v spot welder work on 50Hz?

On Jul 15, 2:18*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
Pondering selling my Dayton hand held spot welder vs taking to Australia.
Assuming I have a transformer to knock 220 down to 110 that will handle
the current, will 50Hz adversely affect performance? Is there anything
about that which would require uprating a transformer a bit?

If the transformer takes 110 at 60 Hz, it's safe up to 50/60*110V
at 50 Hz (i.e. 92 VAC). There's also a timer in some spotwelders,
and that might time differently with 50 Hz. Look at the manual
that came with the spot welder, there might be instructions for
connecting different taps on the transformer...