Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default How big should a lathe chuck guard be?

In article ,
"Tom Wait" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote

Why is it necessary to make the guard as tight as possible?

I don't think it's necessary, just desirable to keep the stray coolant from
spraying out from under the cover. I haven't used a guard on a lathe in
decades but think about one when I ponder flood coolant. I'll be adding a
chip/splash shield on the rear of the pan soon. The flood coolant follows
and then I presume the chuck guard.

Escaping coolant is why Iggy put a rubber skirt on the front of his
guard, and why one installs the guard such that the guard reaches past
the tips of the chuck jaws. I plan to do both.

And, "chuck jaws" has to include those big clunky soft jaws, which also
are a danger because of their propensity to clip the lathe operator.
Man would that hurt.

Let us know how it all works out. Post pics if possible somewhere.

Sure.

Joe Gwinn