Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default New idea for work bench?

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:13:18 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

[snip]

Carpet makes a nice surface for fixing all sorts of
mechanical items, but not for anything with a semiconductor
in it.

Not everything is 0.000004 micron process and will be destroyed by +4
volts of static.

The problem with static is not 4 volts. Static charges can easily run
into the thousands of volts. Merely separating two dissimilar
materials builds up quite a charge; look up the triboelectric series
to see where various substances sit relative to each other.

The currents available are generally quite small, but more than
sufficient to destroy tiny semiconductor junctions.

I'd not take a computer apart on carpet, other things are fine.

I do find that the anti-static packaging of *everything* that comes
from electronics suppliers is overkill; perhaps it's easier just to
stock one type of bag.

Joe