Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default 110v spot welder work on 50Hz?

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:08:30 -0800, Jon Anderson wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:

Leo writes: Jon, I'm pretty sure he was kidding. But, if you intend to
take him sriously, then see my post regarding diameter vs. area.

I wasn't sure, but really, I think spot size has more to do with the
diameter of the tips and to a lesser extent, length of weld time.
I just wanted to make sure the welder wouldn't go up in smoke if I tried
to weld something...

It probably won't go up in smoke right out of the chute, but I'd keep
an eye on it (or, more accurately, a hand) and if it feels like it's
getting too hot, then cut your duty cycle down to 5/6 of what you did
at 60 Hz.

60 Hz transformers draw more idling current at 50 Hz, and have less
amp-hour capacity than at 60.

Have Fun!
Rich