Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default How big should a lathe chuck guard be?

In article ,
"Tom Wait" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I am going to make or buy a guard for the chuck on my Clausing 5914
lathe. The question is how large the guard should be.

The advertised swing is 12", although the absolute max is about 13" over
the bed.

There are two chucks and one faceplate. The chucks are 8" (3-jaw) and
10" (4-jaw), and the faceplate is 10". The 3-jaw also has big clunky
soft jaws.

The commercial units made by Flexbar are what one mostly sees. There
are two units that are plausible for this lathe. Data from Enco:

FK505-4016 is a half-circle of radius 6", is 6" wide along the bedway,
and is offered for chucks up to 8". This seems a bit too tight, even
though the guard is suggested for lathes up to 12" swing.

FK505-4017 is a half-circle of radius 8", 8" along the bedway, and is
offered for chucks up to 10". This obviously works, but the guard seems
a bit too big for the lathe, even though the guard is suggested for
lathes from 12" to 16" swing.

What experience do people have here?

Joe Gwinn

Better measure your swing again. My 5914 will only swing about 12 1/4" over
the ways. It's the back V way that hits first. Make the guard as tight as
you can to accept the max workpeice. 12 1/2" dia. If you buy one, the 4016
model makes sense. How often will you turn something between 12 and 12 1/4"?
You could probably tweak it to clear the extra 1/4" if you had to have it.

Right you are. It's 6-3/32 inches from center (the center pip on a
piece of steel in a 5C collet) to the near edge of the rear V rail.

Why is it necessary to make the guard as tight as possible?

Joe Gwinn