Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default How big should a lathe chuck guard be?

In article ,
Ignoramus13927 wrote:

I would say that width may be more important than radius, to some
extent. You need the guard wide enough to extend at least a bit beyond
the chuck jaws.

Yes. I plan to mount the guard to ensure this, even if the back of the
chuck isn't fully covered. Only 1" gap between headstock and cover is
required to achieve this.

Secondly, the guard should prevent coolant from being
thrown at you, so it needs to either go lower than the chuck's
middle, or else you ned to add a rubber splash guard to it.

I do plan to add rubber skirts front and back. The 5914 has a deep chip
pan, but no backsplash shield, so the back skirt is needed.

And a rubber apron on the toolpost, covering the carriage and compound.

My guard
is for lathes with 15" swing, and my lathe is 13". It seems to fit
reasonably well.

This sounds like the FK505-4019 Flexbar guard, which is for lathes with
16-20" swing. What is the length? (This is the largest dimension,
being the diameter of the circle.)

Anyway, for the 5914, this suggests use of the larger of the two
plausible guards.

Joe Gwinn