Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default New idea for work bench?

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:13:18 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

big snip)
Not everything is 0.000004 micron process and will be destroyed by +4
volts of static.

I'd not take a computer apart on carpet, other things are fine.

If you can feel it at all, figure upwards of 3000 volts.
Those nice carpet scuff zaps are more likely 5000-6000
volts, or so the story goes.

The plastic bag scenario, training video was a long time
ago, but as I recall it was several thousand volts involved.
Remember, this was changing the value of a resistor as they
were being placed into a plastic bag. A measly 4 volts won't
do that.

They were also finding that damage was being done to
semiconductors, but not enough to cause an immediate
failure. By dissecting exposed (to zaps, but still working)
semiconductor devices in the lab they could document areas
where they had been weakened internally. It was interesting
stuff.

Most of the parts can be ID'd okay, but finding some of the
more specialized ones can be a problem. An even bigger
problem is figuring out how to calibrate/align things
without instructions. The stuff I repaired for the most part
had good manuals, with instructions describing how the
circuit was suppose to work, layout, schematic, parts
listing... Sometimes you had to fly
by-the-seat-of-your-pants though. Experience helps a lot,
but that isn't always enough either (shrug).

Some things can't be replaced anymore. They just don't
make'em. My labor is dirt cheap and amusement/learning can
be priceless.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b