Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New idea for work bench?

My suggestions for a work bench:

It depends upon what you're doing at the bench, but the front of mine
gets burned, cut, scraped, oil & paint stained, etc. Having a covering
of 1/4 tempered Masonite handles that nicely. I get 2 uses from a
piece: it gets turned front-to-back when it gets too cut, burned etc.

I have a lip on the front & sides made by bolting 2 x 2 angle flush with
the top (Masonite covers it). This is great for clamping.

My vise is mounted at the side, just below the top, to keep the entire
top of the bench clear for long stuff. Being lower is also
ergonomically better.

" ... lagged to the wall." is very good. It's surprising how easily
even a heavily loaded bench can move when extra leverage is being used
on something in the vise.

Bob