Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default New idea for work bench?

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:21:40 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

snip
Things still worth repairing or that have parts available can still be
fixed on carpet.

Pretty much most stuff is throw away though.

Where would you even order parts for a $30 DVD player?

Static has always been a problem for solid state devices.
One of the training videos I was required to view had a
major resistor distributor highlighted in it. Just inserting
their resistors into a clear plastic bag applied enough
static voltage to them to change their values out of
tolerance. Nearly drove them batty trying figure out what
was going amuck. Hence why you see the pink bags nowadays or
at least that was how they used to come. I've been out of
circulation for ~8 years now.

If it was my DVD player I would carefully open and look for
anything suspicious. Years of fixing similar stuff helps in
figuring out what looks suspicious, but I've quit holding my
breath lately If I couldn't easily spot/find anything I
would end up replacing it. If we actually had to pay the
true price of these things (USA labor rates) they would be
worth fixing. Maybe someday soon when people figure out that
they can no longer afford to buy even imported items because
they don't have a job things will change...

Carpet makes a nice surface for fixing all sorts of
mechanical items, but not for anything with a semiconductor
in it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b