Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_20_] Tim[_20_] is offline

Default Sub panel to a sub panel

"stryped" wrote in message
I am building a detatched garage about 75 feet from my attached
garage. I have my main panel and a sub panel beside each other in my
attached garage. The sub panel only has my small upstairs heat pump/
air conditioner for a bonus room hooked to it as well as a 50 amp plug
for a small welder I almost never use. Can I run a sub panel in my new
detached garage/workshop from the sub panel in my current attached
garage?

If so, do I need another ground rod at the detached garage?

If it helps, I can remove the 50 amp welding plug because I only plan
to wel in the detached garage anyway.

I have 200 amp service in my main panel. I think the sub panel next to
it I bought was either a 50 or 100 amp panel but like I sais, the only
thing on it is the 1.5 ton heat pump. It is usually turned off as the
upstairs is a play room for the kids.

I added the sub panel because all of the breakers in my main pannel
were almost full.

Make a hole in the main panel for another sub panel, just like you did
before. Move a couple of circuits to the other sub if necessary. Yes you
will need a main panel, ground rods and fused disconnect at the new shop.
I'd leave the welding plug for possible future use. It only matters if you
try to use it while heavily loaded on other circuits, but if everything is
fused/breakered correctly you should still be safe.