Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default In-between GFI

On Jul 12, 9:13*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
Pavel Grnifeld wrote:
Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit? For example, it would be
nice if the GFI device could go under the vanity?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron

They do make a GFCI that mounts like an
outlet but has no outlet. *It
can be mounted in a closet, under a
cabinet, etc. *I put one in my last
house because one circuit in the kitchen
didn't have a GFCI and was
"required" by the buyers. *It was
mounted in the basement below the
kitchen, actually very near the breaker
box. *There wasn't any room
to put a GFCI breaker in the box as the
breaker for that circuit was a
half width breaker and the box was full.

you can get the at heme dopo or lowees or whatever; i just did a
bunch of rewiring around my basement and retrofitted them in a bunch
of junction boxes up on the unfinished ceiling.

although, actually, the only advantages they offer over a gfci outlet
(which as everybody explained protects downstream) is that they're
rated at 20 amps, if you have a 20 amp circuit, and they're a couple
of bucks cheaper, unless the gfci outlets are on special.