Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default New idea for work bench?

"Winston" wrote in message
Buerste wrote:
I took two old vanities that I replaced in the bathrooms and screwed them
together end to end to make the carcass of a new garage workbench.

Can't remember where I saw it (TMBR?) but I've used
this jeweler's idea to great effect.

To Wit:
Regular shop apron with the entire bottom hem clamped
to the top of the leading edge of your workbench.
Wear the top of the apron like normal. You now
have a large 'catchment' for small parts that would
normally zing off to an undisclosed location on the
floor. This saved my bacon on a couple of occasions.

It's nifty to pick up the part from your 'bib' rather
than go crawling on the floor for 10 minutes looking
for the elusive spring or whatchamacallit.

--Winston

On my desk at work, where I often do fine mechanical things, I have a strip
of 1/8" x 1"magnetic tape on the face of the top. No good for brass for
some reason though.