Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:13:37 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:51:29 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:29:21 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?

Bullets are inert bits of metal. A round of live ammo is comprised
of a bullet, a cartridge case, powder propellant and a primer. The
primer is the little cap that makes a round "go off" when struck by a
firing pin. The primer ignites the propellant powder which then
creates pressure in the chamber sufficient to push and accelerate the
bullet down the bore and on its way. Peak pressures vary from
25,000 psig to over 65,000 psig per specifications for various
calibers and configurations.

Oddly enough, boxes of ready-to-shoot live ammo containing both
powder and primer in every round may be shipped regular UPS but jars
of powder and/orboxes of primers carry a stiff HAZMAT surcharge. Go
figure, eh?

I'm well aware of the components, I have a reloading bench myself. Your
post wasn't especially clear that you were talking about components, not
completed. It was also a long day yesterday...

Do you refer to completed rounds as "bullets" as in "gimme some
bullets so I can reload my gun"? Perhaps it's a regional
colloquialism that I was unaware of. Sorry for the confusion.