Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jeff_wisnia[_2_] jeff_wisnia[_2_] is offline

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

Don Foreman wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:51:29 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:29:21 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?

Bullets are inert bits of metal. A round of live ammo is comprised
of a bullet, a cartridge case, powder propellant and a primer.

I had no luck explaining that to a TSA employee on my first air travel
after 911 when I plumb forgot that the "fob" on my key ring had for
quite a while been a .357 magnum shell and bullet, sans powder and
primer, with a short piece of ball chain coming out of the primer pocket
hole joining it to the keys. I must have gone through airport security
with it at least a hundred times before 911.

When I tossed my keys into the basket the "ammo" got spotted and I had
to give it up or miss my flight. No biggie, as it didn't have any
particular special meaning to me, 'twas just something I'd picked up at
a gift shop years before. And I'd long ago learned the futility of
trying to reason with someone in "positional authority" who has limited
knowledge of the subject at hand.

It was a little different earlier this year when traffic was slow at the
Portland, Oregon airport and I got tagged for a "full inspection" by a
TSA guy. He really tore into the stuff in my carryon bag and in the
depths of my Dopp kit he spotted a tiny pearl handled pocketknife with a
single blade fully 7/8 inch long. It had belonged to my dad, and I'd
inherited it when he passed away 31 years ago and then completely
forgotten about putting it in my travel gear back then. I couldn't see
letting it get tossed out, so I spent $12 at the handy "mailing machine"
located right next to the table my bag was being inspected on and had
the "weapon" mailed back to our home.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia