Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

Default How is blade on old Snapper push mower supposed to be held on?

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 04:51:09 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

muzician21 wrote:
On a 70's era 21" Snapper push mower, the end of the shaft is larger
than the rest of the shaft. I don't have it in front of me to measure
but the last maybe 1/4 inch of the shaft is approximately the size of
a quarter, flat on two sides. There are also washers with center holes
that are shaped approximately like that end of the shaft - the hole
flat on the sides, though a bit larger than the shaft end.

The center hole in the blade is round and slightly larger than this
shaft end. How is that blade actually supposed to be mounted? I know
there are clutch washers involved - is the hole in the blade supposed
to be around that larger end or is it supposed to be further up the
shaft and centered basically by eye and held in place by the friction
of the washers clamping down on it?

I had a mower once which was maybe like that, there was a rectangular
"thingy" on the end with a short nub that fit into the hole in the blade,
there were two holes to attach the blade to the "thingy", and a center bolt
to attach the "thingy + blade" to the shaft. Three fasteners in total.
From the ground, it went thingy, blade, shaft.

You might need to find a "thingy".

Check thingy.com . Also there is a non-profit organization that
makes these for orphan tools. Check thingy.org .

Jon

Just kidding.