Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

Oren writes:

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:35:07 -0400, blueman wrote:

I need a basement window well cover to provide protection from both
water/snow and from stray basketballs (the windows are near our
basketball hoop).

I have previously purchased the "better" quality MacCourt plastic well
covers at Lowes but despite their 10 year warranty, they tend to
shatter after a couple of winters and repeated basketball
strikes. Plus they aren't particularly nice looking or sturdy and they
don't fit that great (since they are 1 size fits all...)

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to build my own custom window
well covers.

I would like to satisfy the following design parameters:
- Keep (most) water/snow out
- Strong enough not to be damaged by basketball impact (and other
things kids do)
- Able to survive many heat/thaw cycles (New England winters &
summers)
- Let maximum light in
- Look good on an Italian mansard house
- Easy to move/remove to get access to the well but solid enough not
to be budged by snow or errant basketballs

I have been thinking of building a lean-two like frame out of 1x1 PT
wood and then cover it with Lexan.

But I would love to hear alternatives plus get more detailed
suggestions on design & materials including what to use for the frame,
what to use for the skin, what fasteners, etc...

It's for the children.

http://www.handiramp.com/WW-Covers.htm

This solution seems to be based around a metal grate which would
obviously not keep water/snow out.

Also, it seems mostly designed to protect people from falling into
below ground window wells. My well is maybe only 2-3 inches below
grade so I don't need the safety part as much as the weather & window
protection.