Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Threaded rod padding

aemeijers wrote:
dpb wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
One place where I go, now and again. There is a vertical, metal
ladder. At the top, there is a threaded rod, for a hand hold. The
threads cut into my fingers, when I grab on. Someone had wrapped this
in duct tape, but the threads are cutting through the duct tape. Is
there some other way to pad this, so it would be a more comfortable
grip handle?

Can't slide a tube over it, and wouldn't want to. The tube would
rotate, and a climber could lose grip. Foam padding (like for pipe
wrap) might not hold up for very long.

The duct tape isn't all that ideal, it's a bit slippery. What else
comes to mind?

Replace it w/ a rod threaded only on the ends...

Paint it w/ a few layers of the tool-grip paint...

Wear gloves...

--

Wrap it in a strip of wet leather, and cinch the end off tightly. Once
it dries, it won't go anywhere.

Proper solution, although probably a PITA, is to take the damn thing
apart and put a proper grab handle there. Or take the old part to a
machine/welding shop, and tell them 'make me one that looks like this,
but I want this part hand-friendly'. If that means going from a single
threaded rod to a multi-piece fitting, make sure it is strong enough for
the application. (NB the Kansas City balcony collapse, which was due to
a changed threaded-rod design.) Or maybe just add a handle off to the
side of the threaded rod, held in place with jam nuts so it doesn't move
around when people grab it.

Hard to say without seeing the installation in question- I can imagine
lots of things.
--
aem sends...

Handlebar tape for a bicycle?

Length of fuel hose, just a little undersize, slit lengthwise and
wrapped with electrical tape?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.