Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Accelerate decomposition of small tree stump

"blueman" wrote in message
George writes:

blueman wrote:
I took down some saplings last year (about 2-3" diameter) that were on
a relatively steep hill in our front yard.

Is there any simple/cheap way to speed their decomposition?
It probably doesn't pay to rent a shredder plus it would be difficult
to manouvre it in the hilly area.
I had heard in the past of chemicals that are drilled into the trunk.
I'm looking for something readily available that is faster than
natural decomposition.

Drill holes and fill with a high nitrogen (first of the three numbers
is much larger than the other two) fertilizer.

Just did that...
How long does it take to have a noticeable effect? How long till it is
mostly complete? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?

I had a hack berry tree (soft wood) with about a 14" base and multiple
stumps from that. I built a flower box over it out of untreated 2x pine.
We fed the flowers a lot of rapid grow and by the time the flower box rotted
the stumps were also. Estimated 4 years.

All you need is a high nitrogen fertilizer. Try to buy to ammonium nitrate
(pure nitrogen) might be a problem these days if you aren't a farmer. The
super green lawn products are about the same content at 29-0-10.

Keep it moist and it will rot faster.

--
Colbyt