Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Getting rid of 'water bugs'

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 05:27:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm in Ft Worth TX and have just recently been getting what I would
call 'water bugs' (dark brown, about 3/4" long, look like BIG roaches)
in my kitchen and bathroom.

Do you have a favorite way of getting rid of these pests without
having to call an exterminator?

TIA

Lewis.

*****

Sounds like German Cockroaches (sometimes called water bugs)?

Boric Acid is safe around the house.

A local here discovered that used coffee grounds in a glass jar will
catch them.

Use a glass mayo jar, place two tablespoons of coffee in it and fill
1/3 with water. Tilt the jar against the wall, cabinet, etc. The
roaches climb into the jar and cannot climb out, so they drown. Empty
the dead one out and make a fresh batch.

I was skeptical at first. I put a couple of jars outside around the
house and was surprised at the dead roaches. No roaches in the house.

It works and is cheap!!