Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sun Protection for Central a/c Condensing Unit

On Thu 09 Jul 2009 04:38:35a, HeyBub told us...

wrote:
It is not as important as it may seem. While the shell will get
quite hot, not much of that heat gets beyond the shell. When the unit
is operating it is drawing lots of air in and that air is at air
temperature and it is that temperature that the system really sees.
While there is some heat being radiated from the shell, it is only a
minor component. The real factor is the air temperature.

It is possible to spray water on the unit and increase efficiency
and in your area that should be efferent, but, it can also result in
build up of deposits unless you are flooding the coils.

Which generates the question: why not divert the condensate drain to the
misting apparatus? Condensate is essentially distilled water and mineral
free.

That's a very good and creative idea, but...

But there's probably not much condensate in Phoenix...

Not nearly enough condensate.

How about a giant swamp cooler surrounding the compressor unit?

We had a patio swamp cooler at a previous house out here, but it left a
coat of white powder whevever the mist from it was directed. Same problem
as a mist system.

I'm thinking we may need to build a structure surrounding the unit with
enough air space around it, then cover the frame with 90% sun screen
material. Not the most attractive option, but it might help.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Eggs Benedict is genius. Its eggs covered in eggs. I mean, come on,