Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sun Protection for Central a/c Condensing Unit

I'm not there, and I can't see your house. But, there just
has to be some way to rig up a shade. Which side of the
house, is the condensor? Front? Side? Back? That affects how
much you can get away with.

The first thing that came to mind, to me. Go to Walmart
camping section. Buy several mylar foil emergency blankets.
Make a frame out of wood, so that you have a big rectangle
that stands up from the ground. Think in terms of a
billboard sign, along the road.

Here is an image of a portable blackboard. You could make
such a frame (much simpler) and use mylar instead of
chalkboard.
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI...557R-85016.jpg

Place that so that it shades the AC, and is obviously
temporary. Two or three feet away from the AC. Do not put
any mylar above the AC, you want the hot air to go up and
out. If mylar foil is too flashy, go to the dollar store,
buy a white tablecloth there. Buy several, as the sunlight
will eat em up. Atach with arrow staple gun.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote
in message
5.247...
We live in the Phoenix area where the sun and temperatures
are intense. From
11:00 a.m. until sundown our condensing unit and compressor
have no natural
shade from the sun. The unit sits less than 1 foot from an
exterior wall.
Plantings for shade would be impractical for various
reasons.

The system is only 3 years old. The compressor and
capacitors have already
had to be replaced once (under warranty). We feel the
extreme heat was a
contributing factor to its failure.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably economical solution to
providing some shade
for this unit? We briefly considered a specialized misting
system that would
run anytime the unit is running; however, our water is so
hard that I'm sure
it would eventually clog or damage the condenser fins.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright
Eggs Benedict is genius. Its eggs covered in eggs. I mean,