Posted to alt.home.repair
Dorothy Dorothy is offline

Default Getting rid of 'water bugs'

On Jul 9, 9:03*am, Mortimer Schnerd
I'm in Ft Worth TX and have just recently been getting what I would
call 'water bugs' (dark brown, about 3/4" long, look like BIG roaches)
in my kitchen and bathroom.

Do you have a favorite way of getting rid of these pests without
having to call an exterminator?

3/4" and "big" don't belong in the same sentence. *I've tripped over
roaches walking their dogs down in Georgia.

But that being said, the traditional fix is to spread boric acid, a
white powder available at any drug store, onto the places you think
they'll travel: *on water pipes, at the junction of the floor and
cabinets, etc.

They walk through it and then take it with them back to the nest. *Then
they all die. *Cheap, effective. *And unless you've got the most
inquisitive of pets, it's fairly safe. *It's never bothered either my
cat or my dog.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

I am in FL and we have Palmetto bugs - sounds like the same thing.
They are found in kitchen and bathroom. I have no idea how they get
in the house but suspect they may come in under the kitchen door from
the garage. I chase them around with Raid and hope I hit them ... I
also get spray and spray around the outside of the house, especially
around doorways. The house has central air so unless they are coming
in under the door they must have found a way along water pipes but
cannot figure out how.