Posted to alt.home.repair
bill bill is offline

Default * Large tiles in shower??

"Kathy"
scribblednews:CNadnSznHafrwtvXnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@ear thlink.com:

Hello there;

I am redoing my shower, I replaced the walls with hardibacker board
(vapor barrier as well)

and now I'm ready to tile. I noticed that most showers use small tiles
but I would like to use

16 x 16 tiles (Low water absorption). Is there any reason why we don't
see too many large tiles

in walls? is there any tip I should know before I do it? Can it be
done??

Thank you in advance,

Kathy

Small tiles on the floor, to make the low/high spots less noticible, and
large tiles on the wall.

The larger the tiles, the more spacious it looks.

And don't worrry about being even or anything, that's the job of the
hardiboard installer and they should all be plumb and even surface anyway.

Plus there is a little give when you butter the backside of the tile; as it
floats on a thin bed of set.

You butter up and slap up a line of tile, then use a large long
straightedge to press firmly, but lightly on all the tiles at once and that
will even them all out in that row. Same for the next row, and if you work
quickly you can also do that on a slant across all the tiles.

Oh, also, make sure you stir in some smooth waterproof stuff into the
mortar mix. I bought all my stuff at FloorDecor.

HTH

Bill

--
A fine is a tax for doing wrong