Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sun Protection for Central a/c Condensing Unit

We live in the Phoenix area where the sun and temperatures are intense. From
11:00 a.m. until sundown our condensing unit and compressor have no natural
shade from the sun. The unit sits less than 1 foot from an exterior wall.
Plantings for shade would be impractical for various reasons.

The system is only 3 years old. The compressor and capacitors have already
had to be replaced once (under warranty). We feel the extreme heat was a
contributing factor to its failure.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably economical solution to providing some shade
for this unit? We briefly considered a specialized misting system that would
run anytime the unit is running; however, our water is so hard that I'm sure
it would eventually clog or damage the condenser fins.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright
Eggs Benedict is genius. Its eggs covered in eggs. I mean, come on,