Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default need galvanized finish nails for exterior, right?

ben wrote:
I just bought a Bostitch 15 gauge finish nailer for some exterior trim
work. Bought some Bostitch nails. They say they're 'coated.' I
emailed Bostitch and they say the coating is not galvanized but just a
glue coating that helps in removal. They said to use stainless nails
for exterior.

Unfortunately the stainless nails are 4 times the price.

I presume I need galvanized nails for exterior work, right? I'll be
using this with both wood and PVC trim.

I may just return the Bostitch and get something else for which
galvanized nails are available.

I'm sure I've bought galvanized nails that fit the Bostitch finish
nailer--don't recall that they were necessarily Bostitch, however; I've
used several over the years.

But, none of the galvanized I've ever seen for power nailers are very
long-lasting as compared to a good regular nail--can't put that much
galvanizing on them and have them still feed.

If it's painted, set them and putty and they'll be fine, likely. But,
if you want auto-drive and no chance of rust, SS is your choice, price
or no...