Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default HELP: out-of-square door, weather stripping

On Jul 7, 9:06*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
'k, got my power bill for last month: $560. *

Unacceptable.

I went to replace the weatherstripping on my metal entrace door. *It's
the kind with a saw kerf in the jamb.

Afterwards, I still see see a big gap in the lower thrid of the door.
It's becasue the house has moved and the door jambs are not square. *

Think 'simple shear': the rectangular door opening has been deformed a
bit, so there's a 1/4" gap on the lower third of the latch side. *

Any ideas as to how to properly weaher strip this door?

As always, thanks a heap,

-Zz

I only see 2 options, rehang the door straight, or build up the
weatherstrip to match. I have a couple of places on my door metal door
that didn't quite seal, & I shimmed the magnetic gasket with some
plastic siding scraps behind it.
The magnetic strips are replaceable, and I've already done that, it
just need a little help. You may want to look at your bottom seal as
well. Those are easy to come by at any big box store, I also added a
door sweep on the inside for anything that got by the bottom seal. The
magnetic seals are available online from Amazon, I've never seen them
locally.