Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Water heater noise

mm wrote:

Bubbling, like boiling water.

A drain and flush of the water heater can't hurt. This will probably
remove a bunch of sediment that's usually the cause of the gurgling.

You know, I think it depends on what time of day one posts, which set
of people reply. At any rate I've read a lot of reports here of
opening the flush valve and it clogging with sediment and couldn't be
shut again.

Which then becomes a good excuse to replace the crappy plastic valve with a
more substantial one.

I can see why sediment at the bottom would cause boiling at the bottom
of a pot on a stove, and subsequent noises, but since the electric
element is several inches above the bottom and above all the sediment,
why would sediment cause gurgling? Not that it doesn't happen, but I
don't get it.

Boiling bubbles do not necessarily emanate from the heating element - they
are generated at imperfections in the vessels surface (possibly including
the heating element). That's why "boiling chips" are added in chemical lab's
distillation apparatus. Were it not for these BB-sized lumps of stone, the
liquid would become superheated and erupt, sometimes catastrophically.

Anyway, sediment in a water heater is a good source of "boiling chips."