Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy Rudy is offline

Default Deck screw driver- what do you use?

*I love my Bosch impact driver. It is much lighter than a drill and
requires less effort.

I d go with the impact driver too, but look for a used one on Craigslist
(but watch for OLD TIRED batteries !!) If laka money for one of those, I'd
go with a regular corded 3/8" VSR drill. See what they have for RENT at home
Depot if its a ONE TIME job. I ve had a 9.6V DeWalt, 9.6V Craftsman
"Professional" series VSR, 12V DeWalt dual speed VSR and a Ryobi 18V P220 3
speed hammer drill at various times. I'm about TIRED of buying rechargeable
batteries every 2 years or so but right now, I'd use my RYOBI on 'hammer'
setting as its very much like an impact driver. I ve started to use my 3/8
Craftsman CORDED drill a lot more lately..where I'm finishing the basement,
its only a slight inconvenience to drag a cord.

IMO, those "screwguns" are made for shooting #6 drywall screws thru
sheetrock and maybe an INCH into the framing, NOT for doing decking.

BTW, I saw a HD flyer the other day with a 18V RIDGID hammerdrill for $ 129
or 149. A friend has one and said his is guaranteed "lifetime"..even the
batteries.
Now thats a good deal !