Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck screw driver- what do you use?

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 06:58:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

What do you use? I've been driving most of my deck/drywall screws
with a 3/8 variable speed drill for 15-20 yrs.

I finally killed it last week. [it drives deck screws pretty good- but
I really should have gone to the garage and grabbed the 1/2" to remove
those 20 yr old screws]

So I'm 'in the market'. I've got a nice assortment of cordless
dril/driversl for sheetrock, but I'll be doing 2 decks in the next few
years so I thought it was time to get something that will make those
jobs go easier.

Both decks will be trex- or trex-like material- over PT lumber.

I've looked at these 2 on Amazon-
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW257-H...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
A $50 Dewalt DW257. 9 reviews and only scored 3 stars- one guy had
his fall apart on his first deck.

So then I look at the $50 Milwaukee-
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6742...ref=pd_cp_hi_1
Milwaukee 6742-20 - 11 reviews and scored a 5 star rating-- but I
don't know if it will hold up to deck screws. One guy mentions decks
and though he likes the driver he doesn't think it is up to that task.

I don't want to spend more than about $70 bucks. Should I just get
another 3/8 variable speed or is a crew gun a real plus?

Thanks,
Jim

I would go for the Milwaukee, but a 1/2".